I've been spending some time recently helping people out with their websites and I thought I'd post a few tips on CSS basics.
Let's cover the difference between ID and Class when we're talking about CSS.
- IDs should be unique per page.
- IDs are selected with the "#" symbol
- Classes can be shared, multiple elements can have the same class.
- Classes are selected with the "." (period)
You can combine them and select a class and a specific id.
Use Firebug to help you debug your website on the fly, then transfer the changes to your style.css (or other) stylesheet.
Further (and better) reading:
- The Difference between ID and Class.
- Selector reference guide:
- Multiple ID & Class selectors: